I consider myself a writer. Ultimately, that’s what I want to be doing all day. I want to research and outline and create. However, as it currently stands, that’s not what I get to do throughout the day. I have a full-time job at a men’s suit store, and the retail schedule is crazy and not consistent. Aside from that, I am creating content for The Lipstick Narratives as well as contributing to various publications and working on private projects for myself.
When I wake up, I have to figure out how I’m going to schedule my writing jobs with my ‘in-office’ full-time job. But every now and again, I have a full day off from the store and usually dedicate those days to writing and working on things at home, basically I don’t have days ‘off.’ And on those days, be at home or at a remote location, I have a handful of essentials that keep me productive all day outside of an office setting.
- I live in my planner. The one above, from Nicole Miller, is small enough to fit in my purse, so it goes with me everywhere.
- I always have a notebook with me, especially when I’m working at home. I’ll jot things down throughout the day–ideas, lyrics, quotes, lists, whatever pops into mind.
- Lipstick makes me feel put together, and when I feel put together, I feel productive. When I’m working at home, I always have to get up and get ready for the day like I would if I was going to the office. I’ll put makeup on, dress more comfortable than office days, but not sweats. Never sweats on work days. I’m currently obsessed with this lipstick from Marc Jacobs (the shade: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang).
- I can’t stand when my hands are dry. Currently in my bag is this hand cream from L’Occitane. It’s thick, but not thick enough that it doesn’t absorb.
- Last but not least, pens. I can’t be the only one who is extremely too picky about their writing utensils, but it makes a difference I swear. Find some pens that give you good vibes. I personally love Zebra pens, specifically the F-301’s.
What are some of your essentials when working remotely?