When September 1st rolls around, my mind is immediately shifted to fall. American Horror Story, cozy sweaters, hot apple cider…I’m giddy typing that. Maybe it’s because I prefer the autumnal color palette to that of summer or maybe it’s because I’m always cold, so the cooler weather makes wearing two sweaters at a time more acceptable, but regardless of the reason fall fashion is my favorite.
Before it gets too crisp and you have to put your summer clothes away, I wanted to give you my fall must-haves, so you have time to stock up.
1. I’m currently lusting over this trench vest from the Who What Wear collection at Target. As soon as I saw it, I knew I needed one of these for fall. I can just picture it with wide-leg trousers (which we’ll talk about in a minute) and a lightweight turtle neck. I love trench coats, so having an inside option is ideal for me, if it’s light enough in weight, of course.
2. Over-the-knee boots may always be a wardrobe staple for me in the fall. There’s something sexy about them, and they keep your legs warm. Ok…I might like fall fashion because I’m always cold. I currently have a pair in gray, but I may start looking for black for this fall. I love them with black skinnies and silk blouses. It’s effortless and easy.
3. This fall in particular, I am feeling an extra pull toward various structure in my clothes. I’ve been seeing bell-sleeve blouses everywhere, but my eye is directed toward the 3/4 sleeves with bell bottoms, especially tucked into skirts and pants. It leaves an unexpected break in the path the eye takes, and bounces attention back to your face (and hello fall makeup trends).
4. If you follow me on Twitter, you will know I’m all about velvet right now. I’m lusting hard after these blush velvet ballet flats from Topshop. Usually in the fall, I default to dark and sultry, earthy colors. This year, I’m leaning more toward blushes, sands, and light olives. The pink velvet is a fresh pop that I want to take part in.
5. I love my skinny jeans, don’t get me wrong. But I’m very much attracted to wide-leg anything at the moment. I just think a pair of sand colored trousers with a cream cashmere sweater would be perfect or a black pair beneath that olive trench vest would look awesome all season.
6. To me, something about fall says tweed and something about tweed says fall. I currently have a tweed mini skirt that’s purple with blue, pink, and white threads throughout and some really nice hardware. This fall, I’m envisioning browns, and either a longer length or belted.
7. I have three black leather circle skirts, which are great for fall, but I also want to add a solid black knit circle skirt to the mix. It’ll be perfect to work and will be easy to make flirty and feminine or edgy and cool. And they’re just so comfortable.
8. The lace-up flat isn’t anything new, but it will be to me. At my day job, I’m on my feet all day, so while I love wearing heels, I also love giving my feet a break and donning flats. I think the lace-up detail is fun and interesting. I think these are cute work with skirts and bare legs or cuffed boyfriend jeans, but I also think you could rock these with tights, too.
9. And a classic staple for the fall season is a big, cozy cable knit sweater. I’m particularly wanting a V-neck that isn’t so bulky that I can’t wear it tucked into skirts and pants. To me, the V-neck dresses up the sweater a bit more than a regular crew neck and allows it to be more versatile.
What are some pieces you’re lusting after for fall? Let me know in the comments!