Blazer: a.n.a | Jeans: Calvin Klein | Shoes: Daily Look | Top: ASTR
As I’ve described my style before, I like to dress a little like a ’90s mom, a little comfy, and a little chic. While I’d love to kick back in my Chucks and acid washed jeans daily, I sell men’s clothing and can’t do that. I’m also, slowly and semi-surely, transitioning myself into a personalized capsule wardrobe. I’m definitely learning which basic pieces are staples for my life, and I choose to stick with those pieces multiple times a week, adding pops of color in my blouses, jewelry, and makeup. I’ve also been finding pieces that look great for a work setting but are made of materials that easily transition from professional environments to casual settings. Here’s a snippet of the pieces in my wardrobe that have been getting the most love lately.
- Black Blazer: I don’t like blazers. I think they’re stuffy and restricting, but every so often you need one. I prefer this style–it’s a little along the lines of a tuxedo blazer. It’s really loose and lightweight. I can move easily, which I love. I usually roll the sleeves up to make it look a bit cooler and less office.
- Jeans: I have three staple jeans–a light wash, dark wash, and black. I prefer a solid mid-rise and have found that Calvin Klein and Levi’s fit my body the best.
Top: Banana Republic | Trousers: White House Black Market
- Gray Trousers: I have a pair of black dress pants, but I never find myself reaching for them. I love these gray trousers from White House Black Market. They’re tapered, which makes them a little more sophisticated and chic, and I love the tuxedo stripe down the side. Not to mention, these particular pants are a stretchier fabric than most dress pants.
- White Button Down: It’s taken me forever to find a button down that works for me. I’m not very big, so it’s hard to find one that’s tapered just right. Like the blazer, I prefer to roll the sleeves on my button down shirts. It makes it look a little more laid back and cool, but it’s also just easier to move around in.
Top: New York & Company
- Sleeveless Knit Top: This isn’t the only one I own. I love them. They’re awesome to wear alone or under a cardigan. I wear them with shorts, dress pants, jeans, skirts–you name it. Once I find the perfect pair of overalls, I’ll wear them beneath those, too.
Jacket: American Eagle | Necklace: Bauble Bar
- Jean Jacket: For years, I’ve had a love-hate relationship with denim jackets. I’d love the look, but once I’d put one on, I couldn’t stand the stiffness of the fabric or the look of it in general. However, I’ve officially given into the jean jacket. It’s such an easy transition piece. I frequently wear this one with sun dresses and patterned skirts and shorts. I also like the juxtaposition of pairing it with dress pants, like these. It’s easy to step out of the office into drinks with friends without looking too done up. I also wear it with dark wash denim. Canadian tuxedo, anyone?
Photo credit: Hannah Hicks Photography